The sponsor must not only have the intention of being a godparent, but also meet proper qualifications in accordance with the law of the Church, Canon Law
In brief, godparents must be:
- Baptized Catholics, Confirmed and having received First Communion.
- They must be either married in the Catholic Church or truly single.
- In general, they should have completed 16 years of age.
- They are to be practicing Catholics, members of a parish, living a good moral life, regularly participating in Sunday liturgy, etc… so as to be good godparents for their godchild.
- It is best to have a godfather and a godmother, but only one is required.
- It is prohibited to have two godparents of the same sex.
The godparent not only is taking responsibility for the religious education and spiritual formation of the baptized person, but also is representing the Church, the community of faith, into which the person is being baptized.